- Top in endocrinology: Menstrual cycle length, vegan lifestyleThe length of a woman’s menstrual cycle may be an accurate predictor of ovarian aging, according to results from a systematic review. It was the top story in endocrinology last week.Healio
- | MDLinx MD Linx
- ‘Widespread missed opportunities’ for primary aldosteronism testing among veteransTesting for primary aldosteronism was rare among a cohort of U.S. veterans with treatment-resistant hypertension, yet was associated with higher rates of evidence-based treatment and better longitudinal blood pressure control, data show. “Although guidelines recommend testing for primary aldosteronism in all patients with treatment-resistant hypertension, we found very low rates ofHealio
- Study: Treatable Cause of High Blood Pressure Often IgnoredPeople whose blood pressure is hard to control might have another condition that’s the real culprit. So why aren’t they being tested for primary aldosteronism?Michigan Medicine
- Is This Treatable Condition Causing Your High Blood Pressure? January 8, 2021Researchers say too many doctors are overlooking this potential source of hypertension.Money Talks News
- Health Promotion and Appropriate Treatment for Black Women With Hypertension - Clinical Advisor January 6, 2021Black women are more likely to be diagnosed with hypertension at a younger age, have higher blood pressure readings, and die earlier from complications related to hypertension.Clinical Advisor
- Too Few With Treatment-Resistant Hypertension Get Hormone Test December 30, 2020Data from more than 25,000 US patients with treatment-resistant hypertension, all of whom qualified for assessment for primary aldosteronism, show just 1.6% were tested.Medscape
- Primary aldosteronism testing rare in treatment-resistant hypertension December 29, 2020(HealthDay)—Patients with apparent treatment-resistant hypertension are rarely tested for primary aldosteronism, according to a study published online Dec. 29 in the Annals of Internal Medicine.Medical Xpress
- Primary Aldosteronism Testing Rare in Treatment-Resistant HTN December 29, 2020Testing correlated with increased likelihood of initiation of MRA therapy and with better BP control over timeHealthDay News
- Docs Drop Ball on Primary Aldosteronism Testing December 29, 2020Testing rates are a fraction of what's needed, study suggestsMedPage Today
Conferences and Events
- Endo 2021
March 20-23, 2021
- Who Best to Stem the Cardiometabolic Tsunami: Cardiology, Endocrinology and Primary CareNov. 19-20, 2020
- ASBMR 2020 Annual Meeting
Sept. 11-15, 2020
- 2020 AHA Council on Hypertension
Sept. 10-13, 2020
June 8-19, 2020
Notable Publications of the Year
The findings of this retrospective cohort study reinforce low adherence to guideline-recommended practices in smaller health systems, and underscore the urgent need for improved management of patients with treatment-resistant hypertension.
The prevalence of primary aldosteronism is high and largely unrecognized. There is a prevalent continuum of renin-independent aldosterone production that parallels the severity of hypertension.
Mineralocorticoid Receptor Blockers: Novel Selective Nonsteroidal Mineralocorticoid Receptor Antagonists
New non-steroidal MRBs could be a promising agent for the treatment of hypertension and cardiorenal, cerebral, and metabolic disorders.
Clinical characterization of patients with primary aldosteronism plus subclinical Cushing’s syndrome
Clinicians should suspect the presence of concurrent SCS in patients with PA when detecting an adrenal tumor (≥ 1 cm in diameter) on the CT scans.
For those 20‐39 years old, aldosterone and the ARR are significantly higher in females despite a lower systolic and diastolic BP, highlighting the potential for false‐positive results.
- Adherence to antihypertensive medication and cardiovascular disease events in hypertensive patients: A dose–response meta-analysis of 2,769,700 participants in cohort study | MDLinxMDLinx original journal summary on Hypertension, Internal Medicine from QJM: An International Journal of MedicineMD Linx
- Association of adiposity indicators with hypertension among Chinese adults | MDLinxMDLinx original journal summary on Hypertension, Cardiology from Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular DiseasesMD Linx
- [Full text] Blood Pressure Control with Reference to Intensive Blood Pressure Targ | IBPCBlood Pressure Control with Reference to Intensive Blood Pressure Targets Among Hypertension Patients on Chronic Follow-Up at Dessie Referral Hospital, Northeast EthiopiaDove Medical Press
- Re: Home and Online Management and Evaluation of Blood Pressure (HOME BP) using a digital intervention in poorly controlled hypertension: randomised controlled trial The BMJ
- ADA Releases Annual Guidelines for CVD Management in Diabetic PatientsThe guidelines list more than 40 recommendations related to blood pressure targets, screening and diagnosis, and overall cardiovascular disease risk management strategies.MD Magazine
- Frailty is not associated with hypertension, blood pressure or antihypertensive medication in community-dwelling older adults: a cross- sectional comparison across 3 frailty instruments | MDLinxMDLinx original journal summary on Internal Medicine, Family Medicine from Experimental GerontologyMD Linx