- Cardiac Structure and Function Across the Spectrum of Aldosteronism: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study May 18, 2022Hypertension. 2022 May 18:101161HYPERTENSIONAHA12219134. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.122.19134. Online ahead of print.ABSTRACTBACKGROUND: Aldosterone production and mineralocorticoid receptor activation are implicated in myocardial fibrosis and cardiovascular events.METHODS: Cardiac structure and function were assessed in 4547 participants without prevalent heart failure (HF) in the ARIC study (Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities), with echocardiography, aldosterone, and plasma renin activity measurement (2011-2013).…Docwire News
- CinCor Pharma to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences May 17, 2022WALTHAM, Mass., May 17, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- CinCor Pharma, Inc. (NASDAQ: CINC) today announced that management will present at the H.C. Wainwright 2022 Global Investment Conference taking place on May 23-26 virtually and in Miami, Florida, and at the UBS 2022 Global Healthcare Conference taking place on May 23-25 in New York, New York. […]CinCor Pharma Inc
- Primary Aldosteronism More Prevalent in Patients With Cardioembolic Stroke and Atrial Fibrillation May 6, 2022Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2022 Apr 19;13:869980. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2022.869980. eCollection 2022.ABSTRACTBACKGROUND: Primary aldosteronism (PA) is the most common cause of secondary hypertension, and patients are at an increased risk of atrial fibrillation (AF) and stroke. We assessed the prevalence of PA in patients with recent stroke.METHODS: We recruited 300 patients admitted to an acute stroke unit…Docwire News
- PET tracer shows promise imaging high cholesterol activity May 2, 2022A new PET radiotracer is safe for humans and could provide a noninvasive approach for diagnosing aldosteronism, a condition linked to high cholesterol and heart disease, according to a study published April 28 in the Journal of Nuclear Medicine.Will Morton, AuntMinnie.com staff writer
- Low Renin Hypertension: Causes, Treatment, and More April 27, 2022Low levels of the enzyme renin may be behind your high blood pressure. Learn about low renin hypertension, its causes, subtypes, and how to treat it.Healthline
- Medical mystery: Despite a ‘bucketload’ of drugs, his blood pressure was perilously high April 26, 2022Researchers estimate that 5 to 10 percent of people with high blood pressure and 20 percent of those with resistant hypertension have PA. Most don’t know it because they have never been tested.Sandra G. Boodman
- Despite a ‘bucketload’ of drugs, his blood pressure was perilously high April 23, 2022His doctors told him again and again he had essential hypertension — high blood pressure with no underlying cause. But it did have a cause.Sandra G. Boodman
Conferences and Events
- AHA International Stroke ConferenceNew Orleans, Louisiana Virtual
February 9-11, 2022
- World Congress of NephrologyKuala Lumpur, Malaysia
February 24-27, 2022
- American College of CardiologyWashington, DC and Virtual
April 2-4, 2022
- National Kidney Foundation’s
Spring Clinical MeetingsBoston, Massachusetts
April 6-10, 2022
- Endo 2022Atlanta, Georgia
June 11-14, 2022
Notable Publications of the Year
Performance varied widely based on patient population and diagnostic criteria, especially with respect to sensitivity. No single ARR threshold could be recommended.
Patients with partial and absent biochemical cure exhibited a lower lateralization index, suggesting asymmetric aldosterone production in BAH. Somatic mutations in their adrenal glands indicate common mechanisms underlying BAH and APA.
Side effects were experienced by 52.3% of patients, with 10.3% switching, 22.6% decreasing dose, and 11.0% stopping medications.
Aldosterone-producing micronodules were identified in 51.3% of the adrenal glands; these patients showed lower likelihood (42.1%) of complete clinical success.
25% of patients had postoperative AKI after unilateral adrenalectomy. Preoperative albuminuria was an independent predictor of the progression of CKD.
- Hypertension: What to know about the ‘silent killer’ | Inquirer News May 25, 2022The month of May was declared Hypertension Awareness Month by Proclamation No. 1761 signed on May 1, 2009 by former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.Cristina Eloisa Baclig
- Hypertension most common co-morbidity: Delhi hospital study on May 25, 2022Doctors at a Delhi government-run hospital have conducted a study to examine the epidemiological characteristics of the pandemic by describing clinical profiles of Covid-19 patients, and found thatDeccan Herald
- High Blood Pressure Diet: Bhagyashree Shares Diet Tips To Manage Hypertension May 25, 2022Taking to Instagram, Bhagyashree posted about how blood pressure affects us. She told that beetroot juice can help manage it.NDTV Food
- Doctors reveal what foods to eat and what to avoid to help you control blood pressure or hypertension May 25, 2022Hypertension impairs the pumping function of the heart and if untreated damages the heart, brain and kidneys. Stroke occurs more often in patients with high blood pressure. Hence, doctors recommend these foods to eat and these to avoid to help you control blood pressure or hypertensionZarafshan Shiraz
- United Therapeutics Gets FDA Green Light For First Inhaled Hypertension Therapeutic May 25, 2022Tyvaso DPI marks the first approval of a dry powder inhaler for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension and pulmonary hypertension associated with interstitial lung disease.BioSpace
- FDA Grants Breakthrough Device Designation to Anumana’s ECG Pulmonary Hypertension Early Detection AI Algorithm May 24, 2022CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 24, 2022--Valdosta Daily Times