What are the side effects of Spironolactone?
Common side effects of Spironolactone include:
- Vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain or cramps
- Dry mouth and thirst
- Dizziness, unsteadiness, and headache
- Gynecomastia (enlarged breast tissue) in men, and breast pain in women
- Irregular menstrual periods and post-menopausal vaginal bleeding
- Erectile dysfunction
- Deepening of the voice and increased hair growth
- Drowsiness, tiredness, and restlessness
Severe side effects of Spironolactone include:
- Muscle pain or weakness
- Numbness or tingling
- Paralysis in the arms or legs
- Confusion, extreme tiredness, and fainting
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Life-threatening skin reactions
- Flu-like symptoms, pain in the upper right abdomen, loss of appetite, vomiting blood, or bloody stools
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Decreased urination
Spironolactone has been found to cause tumor development in rats. As a result, the drug carries a black-box warning for tumor risk. Consult your physician or pharmacist for more detailed information on this medication.
For other answers to frequently asked questions, please visit our FAQs page.